Friday 28 December 2012

A Mad Idea.....Yarn Bombing

Over the past year I have become very good friends with Daniel. On paper/screen I guess these days, we look unlikely friends, but we share a weird worldview in common, and have a lot of fun chatting to our other friends.

Daniel very bravely guest posted for me, sharing his experiences of living with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I was really surprised that a lot of people didn't know about Duchenne and I was really proud of Daniel for sharing his story and helping people understand.

In 2013 I want to do something amazing to further raise awareness and to help raise money too, for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign. There are many types of muscular wasting disease and over 70 000 people in the UK are affected. The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign has many functions, to raise money for research, to help with advocacy and campaigning, and providing support to families and to people living with these conditions.

My plan is to organise two yarn bombs. The first in Manchester in spring, with knitted and crocheted flowers, scenes, picnic blankets, knitted kites, a proper knitted spring picnic. People can then "pick" the items and purchase them, for a donation. Larger items can be auctioned. Knitters can also ask their friends for sponsorship.

The second yarn bomb will be in Cheltenham at Christmas time, probably the beginning of advent, but its Christmas with a twist, Geekmas! Knitted Christmas decorations with a geeky twist, all sorts of geeky yarn bombs.

I live in Manchester and Daniel in Cheltenham so I thought doing two would be great fun, and a way to get lots of people involved.

I am looking for lots of knitters, crocheters, sewing is fine too, anything creative. I'll set up some pinterest boards with ideas and you can go wild with your imaginations!

Please join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment