Sunday 1 June 2014

An Honest Post about Weight

Being a size 28 is a weird thing. When you are 24 it's not an easy place to be. In the 1990's it was really difficult. I had to go to Melbourne to buy clothes most times, as Tasmania had only one or two places that did clothes that big, and all the fat girls would end up looking the same.

I've lost weight a couple of times in my adult life. The most recent was 2005 when I went down to a size 16. I lost six stone. Suddenly I could shop amazing places and things fit. I would marvel as a pair of "normal" jeans would get over my hips and do up.

But, and here's the thing. I loathed the way I looked and felt in my new shrunken skin. I felt scared, vulnerable, visible. The thinner me wasn't "me". I wasn't the Kylie I knew. I have absolutely no pictures of that time. I hated the way I looked, the bones starting to protrude, my hourglass figure. I missed my padded comfort.  And so I gained, not all of it, but a lot of it.

Now I am a size 20-22 and the 20 ish side of that. And this is my brain's happy weight. I feel fit enough, my mobility is good, I can swim and walk fast and do what I want. I have nice clothes that I feel comfortable in. I've been within a stone of this weight for around 7 years now.

However, I know that whilst my brain is happy, my heart is not. No not that undefined feeling which could be soul or spirit. My heart. That thing in my body that pumps my blood around.

I know that my body needs to lose fat to be happy and healthy. My brain, however, is terrified. I eat healthily. Given a choice between a salmon salad and fish and chips I will happily chose the salad.  I deliberately sabotage myself my bingeing once a week on high fat foods. At the moment my poison of choice is Lotus Biscuit Spread. It's easy to eat and calorific. If I stop this sabotage I will lose weight.

And I want to, I think. My body wants to. I want to walk for miles, taking photos of things I see, I want to walk fast with my best friend in his wheel chair, who goes very fast. I want to do runs for charity again. I want to play football with my little boy. I do all these things. I limit my exercise because I know if I do the things I want I'll lose weight. This is just so crazy.

I'm not a vulnerable little girl anymore. I will still be strong when I'm smaller, and in smaller clothes. I will still be me, won't I?

I am frightened of not being a the plus size fat girl. I am happy being the fat girl in my brain, I really am. I love wearing my clothes, I feel confident. I don't really care my arms wobble and my stomach is fuller than it should be.

However, to live a long happy life I need to lose weight. And keep it off.

And I need my friends to help me.

Help me accept that even when I'm thinner I will still be safe.

And hug me when I cry as my smaller self emerges again. 


5 comments:

  1. When I was at my goal weight, I was more self conscious and self critical, strange how that happens isn't it! hope you find that happy balance for me I would like to be about 7lb lighter, just to be in the "healthy" BMI bracket instead of overweight
    P.S whats Lotus Biscuit spread? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be safe. I promise. Your strength comes from that heart, not from what is around it. Come to Tassie and we will walk together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me when I say I know how you feel. I like me at 137 kilo not so long ago and I liked me at 70 kilo a long time ago but happy now on my way to 100 kilo. Currently a size 18. Look at the positive side that all the things you love doing now only get easier with less fat to move around with. If you are fit now, you will get fitter. I bet you will be happier even though there is physically less of you:-) big hugs and if I can help with some advice or perk you up you know where I am. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you lose through loving yourself and not hating yourself I think that's most of the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right lady we need to talk. I need to do this too and feel SO similar to you, for different reasons I would guess, but we can do it together!

    ReplyDelete